Paintings and Sculptures

May 18th - July 4th

Harry Fogg & Rosalind Davies

2012 Exhibitions

Home About Us History of Erwood & Local Area

History of Erwood Station

Erwood Railway Station pre 1962


The Mid Wales Railway (MWR) opened its line from Llanidloes to Brecon in 1864, with many stations - Builth Wells and Erwood included - along its route. The MWR was run as a small independent Welsh railway for 24 years, until amalgamated with the Cambrian Railway in 1901. It was on this line that Edward VII journeyed to Rhayader for the official opening of the Birmingham Water Works at Elan, before the Cambrian Railway joined the Great Western Railway in 1923.

As only engines weighing 14 tons or less were allowed to travel south of Llanidloes, the line saw its share of unusual engines, such as the LMSR's Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0s. Trains ran 5 times a day In 1904 in each direction, carrying coal, livestock and agricultural produce to markets, as well as running regular passenger trains, carrying school children.

On December 30th 1962, the Stevenson Locomotive Society ran the last train on this line, an outing over the line from Shrewsbury into Mid Wales, returning into England via Hereford. The journey was undertaken in heavy snow during one of Wales' worst winters for several years. The next day, the line closed, a year before the Beeching Report closed many other small lines.

Recent History

Carriage 1 before restoration  In the beginning

Erwood Station 1990

In 1984 Alan and Erika Cunningham bought the derelict station, which had been abandoned for over twenty years.Shortly after purchase the platform wall was discovered as a JCB dug into the railway bed, ‘we then rebuilt  the station edge and also laid slabs to create the platform' Erika recalls. After restoring the station buildings, they opened the craft centre where Alan was able to exhibit and demonstrate his woodturning skills, which later won him the 1990 Eisteddfod. In 1988 the Fowler Engine 0-4-0 arrived, followed by the first carriage from Rhosgoch in 1990, and then the second from Eardisley. In 1998 the centre was destroyed by fire, but restored and repaired once again, with improved facilities for the arts and crafts, it reopened six months later. The signalbox, bought by John Wake, was relocated from Newbridge on Wye and restored at Erwood in 2004 . It was officially opened by Iolo Williams, and is now used by Radnorshire Wildlife Trust as a bird hide and information area, with binoculars and nest box cameras.

Everything has changed placeAlan Cunningham winning the Eisteddfod in 1990

19th Century carriages before restoration           Alan's Eisteddfodd winning bowl

Feel free to browse our gallery for never before seen pictures of the last 25 years.

Alan Cunningham passed away in December 2008, but the Craft Centre and Gallery he built continues his work, supporting artists from all over Wales and providing regular exhibitions of many genres of art and crafts. Now you can enjoy home-made cakes in the café, and follow the riverside walk down to the banks of the Wye.

Last Updated (Monday, 13 September 2010 15:08)

Erwood 13 °C
  06.06.2012 Ferienhaus Ostsee